DIRECTOR, HIDDEN CITY DAY CAMP
Full-time Contract: (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) from mid May to end of August, 2024
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to jobs(at)torontobicycletours.com
Our Hidden City Summer Day Camp for ages 9-13 is a unique combination of Cycling, Discovery and Inspiration.
Each day is a cool bike hike in the city that will spark a further love for Toronto. Exploring the city by bike will give campers the opportunity to see the city differently as they discover “hidden” areas and aspects of Toronto that they may not have seen or known about before. Campers will be inspired by the places they visit and the people they meet. They will get a better sense of what it takes to make the city go each day, and what future role they might like to play in the running of the city.
They will see… “hidden” places and processes in the city and learn what makes them a cool and important part of everyday life in Toronto.
They will meet… “makers & shakers” in fields such as industrial design, aerospace, urban farming, special effects and more. Campers will learn what these Torontonians love about their work, how they help make the city the place that it is, and how they are shaping what the city will be in the future.
They will do… “hands-on” activities that put them in the shoes of the people they meet so they can experience firsthand what it’s like to be a “maker & shaker.”
They will ride… their bikes throughout the city, exploring new worlds and developing an innate feel for how the city’s diversity of urban, park, water and neighbourhoods stitch together to form the amazing mosaic we call Toronto.
Who we are looking for
As the Hidden City Day Camp Director, you will lead a team of camp counsellors and be responsible for the overall management and operations of the camp. You will work with the camp owners and stakeholders to develop the camp program, manage the budget, and ensure that the camp is in compliance with all relevant regulations and standards.
You will be directly responsible for the safety and enjoyment of your campers, so knowledge of safe riding practices and experience riding in Toronto is essential. You’ll lead rides on and off the beaten path through Toronto’s neighbourhoods, parks, and locales.
You will also inspire campers to see the city in a new light by leading discovery activities and conversations.
Our counsellors come from a variety of backgrounds, but they all have previous experience working with children, love the outdoors, live in (and love) Toronto, and are comfortable leading and engaging young people. Maybe you love to talk about urban affairs, or you relish the opportunity to tell a great story, or you just love cycling and believe that the best way to get to know your city is on two wheels.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the camp, ensuring that all activities are safe, engaging, and aligned with the camp’s philosophy and goals
- Lead campers on bike excursions through the city
- Develop and implement a comprehensive training program for camp counselors, including first aid and emergency response procedures
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate camp staff
- Collaborate with the owners and stakeholders to develop the camp program, set goals, and create budgets
- Manage the camp’s budget, ensuring that expenses are in line with revenue and that the camp is financially sustainable
- Ensure that cycling excursions through the city are done safely and in compliance with camp standards
- Ensure that all camp facilities and equipment are safe and in good repair
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with campers and their families, responding to their needs and concerns in a timely and professional manner
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community partners, such as local businesses and organizations
- Maintain accurate records and documentation, including camper and staff files, incident reports, and financial records
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, such as health and safety standards, employment laws, and licensing requirements
- Pursuing or have completed a Bachelor’s degree – ideal if in education, recreation, or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a job working directly with children aged 9-13 as a camp counsellor, teacher, childcare, or in a related field, with at least 1 of those years in a leadership or administrative capacity
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate and engage staff and campers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with staff, campers, families, and community partners
- A passion for creating safe and engaging learning environments
- Knowledge of cycling safety practices and experience with riding in an urban environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks, and to work effectively under pressure
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of relevant regulations, such as health and safety standards, employment laws, and licensing requirements
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other relevant software applications
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
Working @ Hidden City Day Camp
This is a full-time position (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) from mid May to end of August, 2024.
We have two camp locations: Bloor West (Jane & Bloor) and Midtown (Yonge & Eglinton).
References are personally contacted for each staff applicant and criminal background checks are required. Qualified, mature, enthusiastic, conscientious and responsible counsellors are all hand-picked and must meet our high standards and expectations.
Our staff are given extensive training. They are trained in first aid and C.P.R. as well as trained in emergency procedures and the use of the epi-pen. Pre-camp training sessions perfect their skills as counsellors and enable the staff to respond effectively to the children’s needs. Coaching for staff is on-going throughout the summer to build on their experience.
- All staff are dressed in a camp uniform to ensure security and visibility.
- A low camper-to-staff ratio ensures safe supervision and personal attention.
- Every member of the team shares a strong personal commitment to the care and love of children
Either way, if you are driven by your love of your city, and your desire to show others why Toronto is great, then we want to talk to you! Or if you know someone who’d consider this their dream job – do them a favor and pass it along!
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to jobs(at)torontobicycletours.com
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.